The Majority's Voice

This week for FHE it seemed appropriate to study the last talk given by Elder L. Tom Perry. 

It was a beautifully given message to the world that family is the most important thing, regardless of your religion.

With the latest topic running around social media about Bruce Jenner, I cant help but ponder the words of Elder Perry. 
"One problem is that much of the media and entertainment that the world shares does not reflect the priorities and values of the majority. For whatever reasons, too much of our television, movies, music, and Internet present a classic case of a minority masquerading as a majority. Immorality and amorality, ranging from graphic violence to recreational sex, is portrayed as the norm and can cause those who have mainstream values to feel like we are out of date or from a bygone era. In such a media and Internet-dominated world, it has never been harder to raise responsible children and to keep marriages and families together."
  I want to join my voice with his in stating that simply because the media has a very LOUD voice, they do not speak for me or my family. We believe in those "out of date" families, with a dad and a mom. 

"We want our voice to be heard against all of the counterfeit and alternative lifestyles that try to replace the family organization that God Himself established. We also want our voice to be heard in sustaining the joy and fulfillment that traditional families bring. We must continue to project that voice throughout the world in declaring why marriage and family are so important, why marriage and family really do matter, and why they always will."

We've discussed as a family what our stand is. I have had many close friends chose a different path as far as their gender goes, and I love each one of them. However, due to the beliefs we hold dear to our heart it is impossible to feel joy for them, as we watch them walk away from the blessings we believe to be right for a family. 

Bruce's children have been incredibly brave and tough in dealing with all of this in the public eye. Yet, it is hard for me to not hurt for them, because as stated by Elder L. Tom Perry:

"Public opinion polls show that marriage is still the ideal and the hope among the majority of every age group—even among the millennial generation, where we hear so much about chosen singleness, personal freedom, and cohabitation instead of marriage. The fact is that strong majorities worldwide still want to have children and to create strong families."
I am extremely grateful for the family that I am able to now raise alongside a great man. I love this church and our leaders. The blessings I've received from a temple marriage are beyond anything the world can ever give me. I refuse to let the media speak for me as to what a hero is. 



Comments

Popular Posts